When people stay in a resort they all expect it to be safe and that in the event of a fire they will be able to leave safely. Resort owners primary concern is that guests enjoy their safe stay. Apart from offering first-rate services, this involves ensuring optimum life safety. Fire safety in resorts is delicate: You have to protect various aspects with different environmental conditions and ensure that guests adhere to fire safety rules.
Resorts require devices that quickly detect the first sign of fire like smoke alarms and a fire sprinkler system and direct the guests safely out of the danger zone. Fire protection system has to be highly dependable, installation of an adequate number of fire extinguishers is a must.
Fire Hazards in Resorts
Just like any building, Resorts are vulnerable to fires – but there are particular areas which make the fire prevention systems and plans more complicated. For starters, resorts have a higher occupancy load because of the numerous rooms in addition to countless guests that may spend any given night.
Additionally, unlike other business spaces, guests are not familiar with the structure and possible escape routes. Resorts have restaurants—kitchens add a great risk of fire as a result of open flames, flammable grease traps, and storage of flammable substances.
Resort Fire Safety Rules:
- Designate a person to be responsible for fire safety in the resort.
- Maintain a Fire Safety Register containing information relating to fire safety systems, management procedures, and training.
- Prepare an Emergency Response Plan.
- Ensure that every member of staff receives information, instruction, and training in fire
- safety in accordance with their duties.
- Organise a planned and documented fire evacuation drill in the resort at least once a year.
- Have a regular Fire Risk Assessment carried out and take corrective action.
- Ensure that the structure has properly installed, professionally maintained, and regularly inspected fire protection systems throughout the building. These include:
1. Fire sprinkler systems
Fire sprinklers are essential for protecting your resort rooms around the clock, whether your rooms are occupied or vacant. Fire sprinklers can prevent a fire from spreading from one room to the next, minimizing downtime for your resort and reducing the number of displaced guests.
2. Fire evacuation routes
You should have fire evac with more than one escape route listed. Depending on the floor plan of your resort, it’s important that your guests have more than one way to safely get out of the building in case a fire breaks out along one of the route options.
3. Fire alarms
Having a working, well-maintained fire alarm system is crucial for keeping your resort building up to code and safe for your overnight guests. To ensure that it is in evacuation routes posted in each room working order—and ready to alert guests of a fire emergency at any time of day or night—you should have your system inspected regularly by a professional fire protection company.
4. Fire extinguishers
Local standards will differ, but an ABE fire extinguisher is the most versatile and common type because it can put out fire caused by ordinary materials (paper, plastic, trash), flammable liquids (oil, grease, gasoline), and electrical equipment (appliances, computers, wiring). Many guests will know how to use fire extinguishers, but they should be clearly labeled within rooms, common areas, and hallways.
What Resort Managers Can Do To Prevent Resort Fires:
Resort managers and owners can ensure room fire safety and help prevent fires on their property by installing appropriate fire protection systems, also ensuring that:
- Every room has a smoke detector or alarm
- Their doors are self-closing in stairwells to help confine smoke, flames, and heat
- Sprinkler and alarm systems are tested regularly by fire protection companies
- Employees are knowledgeable and trained with emergency response protocol
- Hallways, doors, and stairwells are clear of obstructions
FCF Fire & Electrical Rockhampton can provide a wide range of services for all of your resort’s fire safety and protection needs. We are proud to provide owners and managers of resort properties in Central Queensland Region including Rockhampton and Surrounding towns with full-service fire protection – everything from installing and maintaining Fire Safety Equipment such as Fire Extinguishers, Smoke Alarms, Fire detection systems, Exit and emergency lighting with 5-year exit light warranty. We also offer Fire Compliance Services, Hydrant testing, Online first response fire training, Evacuation Diagrams, Rcd testing, Electrical works and much more.